SAHAJ SAMADHI MEDITATION TECHNIQUE AND RESEARCH STUDY
SAHAJ SAMADHI DHYAN AND RESEARCH STUDY
Sahaj Samadhi Meditation
Meditation technique Sahaj samadhi is categorised under Automatic Self Transcending Meditation (ATSM) where the mind is quieted as well as physiological and mental relaxation is experienced during the process. “Sahaj” means natural or effortless, and “Samadhi” means enlightenment. Therefore Sahaj Samadhi Meditation is a natural, effortless, graceful meditation.
In this method of meditation, the practitioner is given a mantra by the guru. Mantra serves as an anchor for the mind. The relaxed attention to a specific sound of the mantra helps draw attention inward and permits mind and nervous system to experience a restful yet alert state of consciousness. Over-practice, the practitioner experiences deep spiritual bliss, Samadhi.
Therefore Mantra specific to the practitioner’s, age, gender, nature, requirement and inclination is chosen by guru for the practitioner and is the key to help practitioner dive deep in the meditation and experience the divine bliss.
Researches and Findings:-
Studies to find out the effect of Sahaj Samadhi Meditation on heart rate variability in late-life depression (LLD- In a randomised controlled longitudinal naturalistic trail), Meta-analysis for the cause of mortality rate in hypertensive older adults, cardiovascular diseases, and spectral changes in the brain during this meditation were studied.
The findings are as follows:-
1. This automatic self-transcending meditation specifically improves autonomic dysfunction among elderly with or without cardiovascular disease and useful for those suffering from depressing symptoms and stress.
2. Meta analysis’s study administered on a practitioner and the findings are that ASTM practitioners had a 30% lower cardiovascular mortality rate in comparison to four other meditative intervention.
3. The study regarding Theta activity and meditative states spectral changes during concentrative meditation observed enhanced theta activity during deep meditation phase- when entering or exiting meditation in the meditation group compared to relaxation of the controlled group.
• Results suggest that given the association of theta and frontal regions with attentional processing; providing training based on meditative techniques to individuals with attentional disorders would be useful in their treatment and improves cognitive processing.
• Another interesting finding is that the reason for experiencing timelessness reduced awareness of one's surroundings and even deep feeling like unity with the self and nature during concentrative meditation could be due to the difference in activity shown in frontal and parietal areas.
• Also, along with traditional treatments when practised, Sahaj Samadhi Meditation proved to be five times more effective than conventional therapy alone(drugs, physiotherapy) and these benefits persisted for six months even though there were only follow up Sahaj practice sessions for three months.Hence, Sahaj Samadhi Meditation relieves one from stress and helps practitioners stay happy, relaxed, and productive and is a quicker process to attain happiness.
Benefits of Sahaj Samadhi Meditation:-
• Spiritual development
• Being aware of oneself
• Clarity of thought
• Physical and emotional welLbeing
• Build healthy reliable relationships
• Able to remain calm and skillfully deal a stressful situation &
• To be able to think in a new perspective
• Improved quality of life.