KUNDALINI MEDITATION TECHNIQUE AND RESEARCH STUDY
Kundalini Meditation Technique And Research Study
“Kundalini yoga is to uncoil yourself to find your potential and vitality and to reach for your virtues.
There is nothing from outside. Try to understand that. All is in you. You are a storehouse of your totality.”
Kundalini in Hinduism refers to the primal form of energy located at the base of the spine.
In 1968, Harbhajan Singh Khalsa famously known as Yogi Bhajan introduced his method of kundalini yoga in the United States.
Kundalini meditation is part of kundalini yoga which involves awakening the kundalini energy present at the lower end of the spine. The energy is raised around the spine through the chakras; this energy purifies the system, helps in healing the body mentally, spiritually, physically as well. It’s the path to self-realisation.
• This technique is based upon two aspects, the use of sound and method of breath.
• Posture plays an essential role in this meditation to channelise the energy to rise upward. The right position is to sit straight with all the chakras aligned with the skull while seated in Padma asana.
• Tying the hair and Covering the head with a shawl is ideal. Closing eyes 9/10, for little light to let in and focus at the eyebrow centre and chant a powerful mantra, e.g. Sat Nam .chanting Sat on inhaling and Nam on exhale which acts as an anchor to meditate from the chatter of the mind thus training the mind and clear the subconscious.
• Slowly deepen the breath and reduce the number of breaths per minute.
Thus one should take care:-to prepare their mind, sit in a correct posture, to feel the breath, exercise for releasing the pent up energy and prepare the body for better meditation as well choose a right mantra. This meditation technique deepens once intuition and sense of inner knowing.
Research on kundalini meditation:-
1. Clinical trials of two years long were carried to test the efficacy of kundalini yoga meditation technique as a treatment for obsessive-compulsive disorder OCD; one an open, uncontrolled pilot trial and the second one a randomised controlled trial by Shannhoff –Khalsa & Beckett in 1996 and Shannhoff –Khalsa respectively. Five out of eight completed the 12-month test, and they showed mean improvement of 53.3% and 52.7% in obsessive-compulsive scale and global severity index respectively.
2. A preliminary study of 34 final participants with chronic insomnia who completed the two-week baseline evaluation and underwent yoga treatment showed significant improvement in most of the subjective sleep measures but as this is a preliminary study it had limitations.
3. A study aiming to find the effect of kundalini yoga on mild cognitive impairment (MCI) and mood conducted a randomised trial on 81 participants (kundalini yoga (KY) & memory enhancement training (MET) group). The results sum up that KY group showed short and long term improvements in executive functioning as compared to memory enhancement training group, and almost similar results regarding depressed mood and resilience.
4. Various studies were carried on the participants who were exposed to 21 personal initiation sessions from Paramahamsa Nityananda in a 21–day Inner Awakening program. They are as follows:-
• In the study regarding cellular energy levels( determined by mitochondrial activity in the cell)assessed through MTT Assay protocol, blood samples were collected from the participants aged above 50 years. Results showed 100% results, i.e. all participants showed a drastic increase in energy levels (96.7% )which is otherwise impossible through any other means like yoga or fitness training.
• A study to observe rapid recovery from physical ailments recorded, improvement in psychosomatic illnesses and autoimmune diseases, decreased body mass index and lowering of fasting blood sugar indicating enhanced immunity levels.
• Study regarding Psychological and emotional health showed decreased dependency on medication and enhanced overall wellbeing.
• A series of studies were conducted to study the neurological changes in the brain through QEEG on participants who had kundalini awakening as well on the control group. EEG studies showed that participants in a deeply relaxed state. (a high incidence of delta wave)
• Regarding the genetic transformation, a differential gene expression studies were conducted on inner awakening participants before and after the program registered the spontaneous expression of new genes which is impossible to reproduce through any other known means.
• A mouse study shows that neurons in the brain stem could be mediating the link between breathing and brain inducing calmness, a state of meditativeness. Neuroscientist discovered that the pre-Botzinger complex(an area containing neurons) could control different breathing behaviours. Also found that these neurons form connections with the locus coeruleus, a region in the brain stem involved in modulating arousal and emotions.
This research suggests that meditation and respiration are intimately connected and that long term meditators had breathing patterns that are slower than those who did not practice regularly.
Overall benefits of kundalini meditation technique are:-
• Energises the brain
• Purifies the entire body
• Effective decision making
• Enhanced interpersonal relations
• Makes you look younger and radiant
• Enhanced memory, immunity to cancer
• The attitude of positivity and warm personality.
• Ability to handle well problematic situations
• Experience infinite bliss and realising the cosmic power
• Relief in rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, fibromyalgia and other chronic ailments.
• Makes you completely conscious of self within the body as well in the surroundings
From the research study, it is evident that kundalini yoga meditation technique produces both immediate temporary relief as well as long term results and improvement. Hence this technique is taught for treating anxiety, solid tumours, regenerating the central nervous system to name a few.
“ Breath Of Fire is the remedy when you feel the urge for a stimulant, do it. It is the most powerful remedy! If you do a half hour of the breath of fire every day, there are a lot of troubles you can keep miles away”-Yogi Bhajan