Yoga for Thyroid Disorders
What is Thyroid:-
The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped like organ located at the base of your neck. It releases hormones that control metabolism—the way your body uses energy.
The thyroid's hormones regulate vital body functions, including:
• Heart rate
• Central and peripheral nervous systems
• Body weight
• Muscle strength
• Menstrual cycles
• Body temperature
• Cholesterol levels
The thyroid disorder is one type of disease that affects the function of the thyroid gland. There are three types of the thyroid: 1) hypothyroidism 2) hyperthyroidism 3) tumors.
10 Symptoms of thyroid problems:-
1. Nervousness and Tremour.
2. Mental fogginess and poor concentration.
3. Menstrual changes.
4. Feeling bloated.
5. Increasing heartbeat.
6. Aches and pains
7. Weight gain
8. High cholesterol levels
9. Heat intolerance
10. Feeling cold
Statistics of Thyroid:-
• A recent survey conducted by Zee News in 2017, more than a quarter of India population suffers from thyroid disorders, that means about 32% Indians have various forms of thyroid disorders.
• It is a silent disease where the symptoms are subtle and may often miss during diagnosis, so it's essential to keep your eyes open.
• The survey further mentions that subclinical hypothyroidism, in which thyroid functions just below average level.
• It is one of the silent diseases which is being increasingly diagnosed in the Indian population and is, of course, a sign of worry.
• Nearly 42 million Indians reportedly have abnormal thyroid hormone levels.
• The problem was more prevalent in women than men. About 26 percent of the women diagnosed were found to have abnormal TSH levels compared to 24 percent of the men.
Source:- Zee News and IBT Times(2017)
Role of Yoga in Curing Thyroid Disorder:-
Yoga plays a significant role in treating thyroid disorder. The various stretching, twisting and compressing yoga asanas massage the thyroid gland and instruct it to release thyroxin thereby helps in body metabolism.
Yoga asanas have positive effects on the thyroid and the parathyroid glands. This asana pushes healthy and oxygen-rich blood directly into the neck which normalizes the function of the thyroid glands. As it stimulates and massages the thyroid gland, which helps to speed up the metabolism, helping them to work at an optimal level.
Here are some yoga poses which helps in curing thyroid disorders:-
1. Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand):-
• Sarvangasana helps in maintaining the endocrine system of the body.
• This pose will help individuals with hypothyroidism owing to the pressure it exerts on the gland.
• The thyroid receives the most significant supply of blood in the body, and practicing this posture can improve its function by improving circulation and squeezing out stagnant secretions.
• The shoulder-stand releases blood into the neck and helps nourish the thyroid, thus alleviating hypothyroidism.
2. Matsyasana (Fish Pose):-
• Matsyasana also was known as “Fish Pose.”
• This yoga asana arches your back such that there is increased blood circulation at the thyroid gland.
• The pose stretches the neck and throat, stimulates the thyroid gland, and relieves tension in the area.
• The inverted position of the head encourages blood flow to the thyroid and helps people with hypothyroidism.
3. Viparita Karani (Inverted Pose):-
• The meaning of viparita is “reverse,” and Karani translates to “by which.”
• This pose is also called legs up the wall pose. Viparita Karani is a panacea for various ailments.
• The asana treats hypothyroidism by increasing the blood flow to the thyroid gland and regulating the thyroid function.
4. Ustrasana (Camel Pose):-
• Ustrasana, or the camel pose, stimulates the thyroid activity by stretching the neck and allowing blood circulation to the gland.
5. Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose):-
• An active yoga asana for thyroid disorders, Setu bandhasana, or the bridge pose, is useful for those with hypothyroidism.
• The pose stretches the neck, improves blood circulation at the thyroid gland, and maintains thyroid activity.
6. Dhanurasana (Bow Pose):-
• The bow poses massages the thyroid gland efficiently and compels the organ to produce the hormone and helps in controlling the metabolism of the body.
• The dhanurasana is very useful in treating and reducing hypothyroidism.
Here’s seven food to eat during thyroid:-
2. Brazil Nuts
4. Green Tea
5. Olive Oil
6. Whole Grains
So these yoga asanas to do and food to eat while suffering from thyroid disorders.