Yoga For Depression
What Is Depression?
Depression (major depressive disorder) is a frequent and severe medical illness that negatively affects your mind to think, feel and act. It is also treatable from time to time. Depression causes feelings of sadness and a loss of interest in activities once enjoyed. It can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems and can decrease a person’s ability to function at work and home.
Symptoms Of Depression:-
• Feeling sad or having a depressed mood.
• Loss of interest in activities once enjoyed.
• The Changes which causes the appetite — weight loss or gain unrelated to dieting.
• Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
• Loss of energy or increased fatigue
• Increase in purposeless physical activity (e.g., hand-wringing or pacing) or slowed movements and speech (actions observable by others)
• Feeling worthless or guilty
• Difficulty thinking, concentrating or making decisions
• Thoughts of death or suicide
What is the reason for the Cause of Depression?
• When you get emotionally connected to somebody over a period due to it leaves a gap, and depression takes over to cope with the loss.
• Genetics, fluctuation in the hormone levels, some medical conditions, post-surgery reaction, and high-stress levels also the reason for depression.
• It is a frequent yet severe problem that needs to tackled before it gets out of hand. Let’s now find out how yoga and depression are related.
Current Scenario of Depression in India:-
• 42.5 % of Corporate Indian Employees suffered due to depression.
• The government estimates 1 out of 5 need counseling either psychologic or psychiatric.
• As per the World Health Organisation's Report “Depression and Other Common Mental Disorders – Global Health Estimates” released in 2017, the estimated prevalence of depressive disorders in India is 4.5% of the total population.
• In India, Around 65% youth between the age group of the 22-25 show early signs of depression, claims a new study.
• Overall mental wellness level among women is higher (66%) when compared to men (55%), say researchers.
• Lack of sleep is the reason for depression, whereas the overall psychological wellness levels among women are higher (66%) when compared to males (55%), the survey revealed.
• Most Suicides are due to depression are below 44 years.
Source:- WHO, Hindustan Times and TOI
Yoga Asanas For Depression:-
1. Balasana (Child Pose):-
• Balasana helps to calm your brain and relieves stress.
• It gently stretches your lower back and hips, enabling your body to relax.
• Peace and calm prevail over your entire being, helping you deal with your depression better.
• Balasana considered as one of the most comfortable yoga poses.
2. Sethu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose):-
• Sethu Bandhasana is also known as Bridge pose which strengthens the back muscles and relieves a tired back.
• It helps you relax and works wonders for people suffering from stress, anxiety, and depression.
• Sethu Bandhasana opens up your heart, making you feel light and at ease.
3. Urdhva Mukha Svanasana (Upward-Facing Dog Pose):-
• Urdhva Mukha Svanasana can easily cure mild fatigue and depression.
• It has an overall rejuvenating effect on your body, and all the stress trapped in your back will vanish.
• Urdhva Mukha Svanasana strengthens and awakens your upper body.
4. Halasana (Plow Pose):-
• Halasana reduces the stress on your back and enhances your posture.
• It calms your brain, gives it a good stretch, and reduces stress.
• It keeps headaches and insomnia at bay.
• Halasana is one of the best calming poses for your nervous system.
So these yoga asanas to do and food to eat while suffering from Depression.