Yoga for Diabetes
What is Diabetes?
Diabetes is one type of disease that occurs when your blood sugar is too high. Blood sugar is your primary area of energy which comes from the food you eat. Sometimes your body doesn’t produce enough any insulin well. Due to which glucose then stays in your blood and doesn’t reach your cells.
In Diabetes, having too much glucose in your blood can cause health problems. Although diabetes has no cure, you can take steps to manage your diabetes and stay healthy.
Sometimes people call diabetes “a touch of sugar” or “borderline diabetes.” These terms suggest that someone doesn’t have diabetes or has a less severe case, but every case of diabetes is severe.
Diabetes can categorize into different types:-
1. Type 1 diabetes:-
• If the patient has type 1 diabetes, your body does not make insulin.
• Your immune system attacks and destroys the cells in your pancreas that produce insulin for diabetes.
• Type 1 diabetes mainly found in children and young adults.
2. Type 2 diabetes:-
• If the patient has type 2 diabetes, your body does not dissolve insulin well.
• You can found type 2 diabetes at any age.
• However, this type of diabetes most often found in middle-aged and older people.
• Type 2 is the most common type of diabetes amongst all.
3. Gestational diabetes:-
• Gestational diabetes mainly found in women when they are pregnant.
• This type of diabetes goes away after the baby is born.
• However, if you’ve had gestational diabetes, you have a higher chance of developing type 2 diabetes later in life.
• Sometimes diabetes diagnosed during pregnancy with type 2 diabetes.
What types of health problems can people with diabetes develop?
Over time, high blood glucose leads to problems such as:-
• Heart disease
• kidney disease
• Eye problems
• Dental disease
• Nerve damage
• Foot problems
Current Scenario of Diabetes:-
• According to the official WHO data, India tops the list of countries with the highest number of people with diabetes; China, America, Indonesia, Japan, Pakistan, Russia, Brazil, Italy and Bangladesh follow.
• Over 30 million have now diagnosed with diabetes in India. The CPR (Crude prevalence rate) in the urban areas of India is thought to be 9 percent. In rural areas, the prevalence is approximately 3 percent of the total population.
• The estimate of the actual number of diabetics in India is around 40 million.
• According to estimates by the International Diabetes Federation, this figure is set to increase to 552 million by the year 2030.
Top 5 Yoga Asanas For Diabetes:-
1. Suryanamaskar (Sun Salutation):-
• Suryanamaskar involves the movement of the whole body; it gets the blood to circulate better.
• It also improves the functioning of the pancreas and increases insulin sensitivity.
• For best results, practice Suryanamaskar at a slow pace of 4 rounds per minute
2. Trikonasana (Triangle Pose):-
• Trikonasana is an excellent pose for burning fat from the stomach and waist areas.
• It is a beneficial technique, especially for people with weight and obesity conditions. This pose also helps to improve digestion. For both these reasons, Trikonasana is a boon for people with diabetes.
3. Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Lord Of The Fishes Pose):-
• This seated twist pose works by strengthening the spine and the abdomen.
• Ardha matsyendrasana gently massages the liver to improve the secretion of insulin, the hormone that regulates sugar levels in the blood.
• This yoga pose also keeps the spleen and other abdominal organs in good shape.
4. Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose):-
• This eighth pose of the Suryanamaskar resembles the raised hood of a cobra.
• It involves a deep backbend that works on core muscles, opening up the lungs and chest.
• Bhujangasana helps in diabetes because of its ability to stimulate metabolism.
5. Pashimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend Pose):-
• Pashimottanasana stimulates the functioning of the pancreas and kidneys.
• It helps in controlling weight and keeping a check on diabetes.
• As a forward bend, it stretches the hamstrings, back and leg muscles.
Foods to eat during Diabetes:-
Here are the some best foods for people with diabetes:-
1. Fatty Fish
2. Leafy Greens
8. Olive Oil
So here are some yoga asanas and food to eat while suffering from diabetes.