Yoga for Frozen Shoulder
What is Frozen Shoulder?
• Frozen shoulder is a common condition in which the joint stiffens, reducing its mobility.
• Frozen shoulder refers specifically to the shoulder joint, while arthritis may apply to other or multiple joints.
• It commonly affects people aged between 40 and 60 years, and it is more likely in women than in men. It is estimated to affect about 3 percent of people.
• It can affect one or both shoulders.
Symptoms of Frozen Shoulder:-
• A patient with a frozen shoulder will have a persistently painful and stiff shoulder joint.
• Signs and symptoms develop gradually and usually resolve on their own.
Current Scenario of Frozen Shoulder patients:-
• Frozen Shoulder mainly affects the older population, with a female predominance.
• Approximately 70 % of Frozen Shoulder patients are Women.
• Usually affects patients age between 40 to 70 years.
• Frozen Shoulders occurs in 25% of Individuals.
• In 1934, Earnest Codman coined the term “ Frozen Shoulder.”
• The Prevalence of Frozen Shoulder is 2 to 5 % of general population.
Yoga For Frozen Shoulder:-
How To Do?
• Sit down in a cross-legged position.
• Place your right knee over the left one so that your left heel touches the right hip. The right heel should move the left hip.
• Lift your right hand over your head and fold at the elbow.
• Now stretch it down to reach the back.
• Fold your left side at the angle and take it backwards.
• Hold your arms together by locking your fingers.
• Keep your back as straight as you can.
• Keep breathing at your average pace till a count of 5.
• Slowly get back to your regular position and do the same steps with the opposite hand and leg.
• Repeat a few times.
Benefits of Gomukhasana:-
• This particular yoga pose will help you stretch the muscles in your shoulders, neck, and back and help to reduce the stiffness.
2. Internal And External Rotation Of The Arm:-
How to do:-
• Stand with your back straight.
• Place the right palm on your left shoulder. Now stretch out your right hand to the side and take it back to touch the left shoulder from the back.
• Repeat with the other side.
• Repeat a few times.
Benefits of Internal And External Rotation Of The Arm:-
• This particular yoga pose will help to improve blood circulation around your shoulder and neck area.
3. Shoulder Rotations:-
How to do?
• Stand straight with your spine erect and hands placed at the sides.
• Now start rotating the shoulders, first in a clockwise motion and then in an anti-clockwise motion.
• Make sure your hands are placed on the sides and touching your body.
• Repeat both clockwise and anti-clockwise motion for at least ten times each.
Benefits of Shoulder Rotation:-
• This particular yoga pose will help to reduce stiffness and improve mobility in the shoulders and back.
What food to eat during Frozen Shoulder Pain:-
• Flax Seeds
• Mustard Oil
• Calcium Rich Foods
• Rich in fruits and vegetables
So here are some yoga asanas and food to eat while suffering from Frozen Shoulder.