Yoga for Joint Pain
What is Joint Pain?
Joints are one part of your body where your bones meet. Joints allow the bones of your skeleton to move.
Joint pain related to discomfort, aches, and soreness in any of the body’s joints. Joint pain is a common complaint. Arthritis is one of the most common causes of joint pain.
What Causes Joint Pain?
Joint pain can be caused by:-
• Inflammation of the cushioning pads around joints
• Infectious diseases, such as mumps, influenza, and hepatitis
• breakdown of the cartilage in the kneecap
• An injury
• Tendinitis, or inflammation of the tendon
• An infection of the bone
• Overuse of a joint
Statistics of Joint pain:-
• Overall, an estimated 22.7% (54.4 million) of adults had doctor-diagnosed arthritis (joint pain), with significantly higher age-adjusted prevalence in women (23.5%) than in men (18.1%). Arthritis prevalence increased with age.
• About 43.5% (23.7 million) of the 54.4 million adults with doctor-diagnosed arthritis have limitations in their usual activities due to their arthritis.
• By the year 2040, an estimated 78.4 million (25.9% of the projected total adult population) adults aged 18 years and older will have doctor-diagnosed arthritis (Joint Pain)
Yoga For Joint Pain:-
1. Veerabhadrasana / Virabhadrasana - Warrior Pose:-
• This pose strengthens the arms, shoulders, thighs and back muscles, all in one go.
• This pose named after Veerabhadra, a fierce warrior, an incarnation of Lord Shiva.
• The story of the warrior Veerabhadra, as all accounts from Upanishads, has a moral that adds value to our life.
2. Dhanurasana (Bow Pose):-
• The Dhanurasana also was known as Bow pose helps to open the shoulders and relieves them of ache.
• This yoga pose also adds flexibility to the back and reduces the body of stress and fatigue.
3. Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose):-
• The Bridge pose helps to strengthen muscles in the knee joint pain.
• It also helps to calm the brain and reduces anxiety and stress in the body.
4. Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
• A useful back pain exercise and shoulder strengthening yoga pose, Ustrasana also improves the flexibility of the spine, improves posture and relieves the body of lower backache.
What Food to eat while suffering from Joint Pain?
1. Fatty Fish
9. Olive Oil
So these are the foods to eat and yoga asanas to do while suffering from joint pain.