Yoga For Acid Reflux
What is Acid Reflux?
Acid reflux is a common disease also known as “Heartburn”, in the lower chest area. It happens when stomach acid flows back up into the food pipe.
Fast facts on acid reflux:-
• Acid reflux is also known as heartburn, acid indigestion, or pyrosis.
• It happens when some of the acidic stomach contents go back up into the oesophagus.
• Acid reflux creates a burning pain in the lower chest area, often after eating.
• Lifestyle risk factors include obesity and smoking.
• Drug treatments are the most common therapy and are available on prescription and over the counter (OTC).
Symptoms of Acid Reflux:-
• a dry cough
• a sore throat
• burping or hiccups
• difficulty swallowing
• lump in the throat
Statistics for Acid Reflux:-
• In America, more than 60 million adults suffer symptoms of acid reflex each month.
• It’s estimated 25 million of the 60 million adults suffer symptoms every day.
• Acid reflux symptoms in children can begin as early as infancy.
• Acid reflux coughing can indicate a severe reflux condition including inflammation.
• There is no cure for acid reflux disease, but it can manage with over the counter medications.
• Pregnant women are more at risk for acid reflux. In fact, 25% of pregnant women will experience symptoms—nearly 50% of them during the third trimester.
• On average, symptoms of acid reflux last for two hours.
• About 20% of people with acid reflux will develop gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
• More than 65% of people who suffer from acid reflux are 40 years old or older.
• In India, More than 10 million people per year suffer from acid reflux.
Yoga For Acid Reflux:-
1. Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose):-
• This pose helps to increase your blood flow to the stomach and intestine and helps to digest food effectively.
2. Pavanamuktasana (Wind-Relieving Pose):-
• Regular practice of Pavanamuktasana helps to stimulate bowel movement which is very necessary for removing waste material and toxins from our digestive system.
3. Nadi Shodhan Pranayama (Alternate Nostril Breathing Technique):-
• This pose helps to boosts energy in the body and releases stress and anxiety.
• It should ideally practice in the morning in the open air and on an empty stomach.
4. Ustrasana (Camel Pose):-
• This pose is especially useful for alleviating backache.
• It helps to relax the mind and improves blood circulation.
• It is also useful for the respiratory, endocrine and nervous systems.
What Food to eat while you are suffering from Acid Reflux:-
So these are the food to eat and yoga asanas to do while suffering from acid reflux.