Yoga for Ulcerative Colitis
What is ulcerative colitis?
Ulcerative colitis is one type of inflammatory bowel disease. It comprises a group of diseases that affect the gastrointestinal tract of the body. Ulcerative colitis occurs when the lining of your large intestine (also called the colon), rectum, or both become inflamed.
While Ulcerative colitis affects people of all ages, most people diagnosed between the ages of 15 and 35. After age 50, another small increase in diagnosis for this disease is seen, usually in men.
Symptoms of ulcerative colitis:-
· Abdominal pain
· Increased abdominal sounds
· Bloody stools
· Rectal pain
· Weight loss
Statistics of Ulcerative Colitis:-
· It is the largest population-based screening study for ulcerative colitis from India, and we found an incidence of 6.02/105 per year and a crude prevalence rate of 44.3/105 inhabitants.
· Among Whites, the reported incidence of ulcerative colitis varies from 3 to 15/105 persons per year with a prevalence of 50–80/105.
Yoga For Ulcerative Colitis:-
1. Kapalbhati Pranayama:-
· This pranayama helps to Stimulate abdominal organs and cure constipation and diarrhoea disorders.
· It helps to improve blood circulation and oxygen supply to the body
2. Seated Forward Bend Pose (Paschimottanasana):-
· This pose helps to improve appetite and aids in digestion.
· It also reduces stress, anxiety and stimulates your abdominal organs.
3. Downward Facing Dog Pose (Adho Mukha Svanasana):-
· This pose helps us to improve the circulation of blood and oxygen and removes fatigue and stress.
· Moreover, it also stimulates abdominal organs and thus enhances digestion.
4. Wind Relieving Pose (Pawanmuktasana):-
· This pose helps to massage the abdominal muscles, intestines and internal organs of the digestive system.
· Releases the trapped gases, improves digestion and alleviates constipation, acidity and bloating problem.
What food to eat if you have Ulcerative Colitis?
· White rice.
· Dried peas, beans, and lentils
· Fibrous fruits
· Fibrous vegetables
So these are the food to eat and yoga asanas to do while suffering from Ulcerative Colitis