Yoga For Anxiety Disorder
What is Anxiety Disorder?
Everyone feels anxious now and then. It’s a normal emotion. For eg., you may feel nervous when faced with a problem at work, test or any challenge that came to your way.
Anxiety disorders are different, though. They are a group of mental illnesses, and the distress they cause can keep you from carrying on with your life normally.
For many people who have worry and fear are at a constant pace and can be disabling. But with treatment, many people can manage those feelings and get back to a fulfilling life.
Symptoms of Anxiety disorder:-
Panic, fear, and uneasiness
• Sleep problems
• Not being able to stay calm and still
• Cold, sweaty, numb or tingling hands or feet
• Shortness of breath
• Heart palpitations
• Dry mouth
• Tense muscles
Statistics of Anxiety Disorder:-• Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 40 million adults in the United States age 18 and older, or 18.1% of the population every year.
• Anxiety disorders are highly curable, but only 36.9% of people suffering receive treatment.
• People with an anxiety disorder are three to five times more likely to go to the doctor and six times more likely to be hospitalized for psychiatric disorders
• Anxiety disorders develop from a set of risk factors which include in our day to day life.
• 7.5% Indians suffer from mental disorders: WHO report
Yoga For Anxiety Disorders:-
• Ustrasana gives your body a good stretch.
• It not only releases the pent-up stress but also ensures enhanced blood circulation throughout your body.
• Proper blood circulation means more oxygen, which helps to heal the mind and body thoroughly.
• This asana is an excellent means to combat anxiety.
2. Setu Bandhasana:-
• This asana enables better blood circulation throughout the body.
• The back gets a good stretch from this asana.
• This helps you to calm the mind and reduce the stress.
• This asana also combats insomnia as well.
• This asana primarily helps you develop core strength.
• It is extremely easy, but you need to involve your mind and body when you practice this asana.
• It works on your core and spine and releases stress.
• This asana is a basic one that you can start practising to relieve anxiety.
4. Utthita Trikonasana:-
• This asana has an interesting feature – the opposition of force.
• This feature balances two opposing energies and helps find a synergy between them.
• It is an easy asana, but you need to be present at the moment to make the most of it.
• The twist and stretch that it involves help release anxiety and calm your mind and body.
What Food to eat while suffering from Anxiety Disorder?
• Folate and other B vitamins
• Low-glycemic foods
• Omega-3 fatty acids
So these are the foods to eat and yoga asanas to do while suffering from anxiety disorder.