Yoga for Dementia
What is Dementia?
Dementia is one type of chronic disorder that is caused by brain disease or injury. Memory loss is one important example. Alzheimer's is the most common type of dementia.
Types of Dementia:-
• Dementia with Lewy bodies
• Mixed dementia
• Frontotemporal dementia
Symptoms of Dementia:-
• Recent memory loss
• Difficulty completing familiar tasks
• Problems communicating
• Misplacing things
• Mood changes
• Personality changes
• Loss of initiative
• Trouble finding the right words.
• Being repetitive.
• Finds it hard to follow a storyline.
• Trouble completing everyday tasks.
• Poor sense of direction.
• Difficulty adapting to changes.
Statistics of Dementia:-
• In the whole world, people develop dementia in every 3 seconds.
• There were an estimated 46.8 million people worldwide living with dementia in 2015 and this number is believed to be close to 50 million people in 2018.
• This number will almost double every 20 years, reaching 75 million in 2030 and 131.5 million in 2050.
• One new case of dementia is diagnosed every 4 seconds.
Yoga For Dementia:-
• This ancient art creates body and mind balance. Building coordination helps prevent head injuries that result from falls.
• As we become old, the risk of these injuries caused by dementia increases.
• Regular yoga practice increases flexibility and range of motion, helping with everyday activities that dementia makes more difficult.
• Medication plays a huge part in yoga, increases grey matter and can prevent Alzheimer's, a leading cause of dementia.
• If walking is more your pace, try incorporating strolls into daily activities.
• Completing errands on foot will increase a patient's mental map of the area while providing a great workout that's easier on the joints.
• Whether walking or running, dementia patients should always go out with someone, in case they forget where they are or where they live.
What Food to eat while you are suffering from Dementia?
• Leafy greens.
• Beans and legumes
• Whole grains.
• Berries and cherries.
• Pumpkin, squash, asparagus, tomatoes, carrots and beets.
• Omega 3s
• Almonds, cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, peanuts and pecans.
• Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.
So these are the food to eat and yoga asanas to do while you are suffering from Dementia.