Yoga for Autoimmune Disorder
What is Autoimmune Disorder?
An autoimmune disease is a condition in which your immune system mistakenly attacks your body. In an autoimmune disease, the immune system mistakes part of your body — like your joints or skin — as foreign. It releases proteins called autoantibodies that attack healthy cells.
Some autoimmune diseases target only one organ. Type 1 diabetes damages the pancreas. Other diseases, like lupus, affect the whole body.
Common autoimmune disorder are:-
1. Type 1 diabetes
2. Rheumatoid arthritis (RA)
3. Psoriasis/psoriatic arthritis
4. Multiple sclerosis
5. Systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus)
6. Inflammatory bowel disease
7. Addison’s disease
8. Graves’ disease
Symptoms of the Autoimmune disorder:-
• Achy muscles
• Swelling and redness
• Low-grade fever
• Trouble concentrating
• Numbness and tingling in the hands and feet
• Hair loss
• Skin Rashes
Statistics of Autoimmune disorder:-
• The National Institutes of Health (NIH) estimates that approximately 23.5* million Americans live with an autoimmune disease and that its prevalence is on the rise.
• On the other hand, AARDA says that 50* million Americans live with an autoimmune disease.
• (*The NIH only includes 24 diseases for which they had epidemiology studies they considered appropriate available.)
• Initial symptoms are often varied, and come and go until the disease becomes acute.
• Researchers have identified between 80 and 100 different autoimmune diseases.
• These autoimmune diseases are usually chronic and may be life-threatening.
• Researchers also suspect that at least another 40 diseases have an autoimmune basis.
• Autoimmune diseases are one of the 10 leading causes of death for girls and women in all age groups (up to 64 years of age).
• In 2003, NIH research funding for autoimmune disease was $591 million.
• The NIH Autoimmune Diseases Research Plan states: “Research discoveries of the last decade have made autoimmune research one of the most promising areas of new discovery.”
• According to the NIH, annual direct health care costs for autoimmune diseases are in the range of $100 billion (source: NIH presentation by Dr Fauci, NIAID).
Source:- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Yoga For Autoimmune disorder:-
• This pranayama (breathing) technique is known for its ability to energize, clear the lungs and nasal passages, and clear the mind.
• For this technique, the emphasis is on a strong and forceful exhale with a passive, natural inhale.
2. Downward Facing Dog:-
• This simple inversion is beneficial for relieving stress and anxiety, while also improving flexibility.
3. Supported Shoulder Stand:-
• This pose compresses the thyroid and parathyroid glands to help with metabolism and immunity
4. Yoga Nidra Savasana:-
• Yoga Nidra also referred to as “Yogic Sleep,” is a meditation technique that allows for ultimate relaxation, bringing us into a state of deep relaxation and releasing stress and tension.
What food to eat if you are suffering from Autoimmune disorder?
• Green Tea
So these are the food to eat and yoga asanas to do while suffering from Autoimmune disorders.