Yoga for Gout
What is Gout?
Uric Acid is a chemical produced by final oxidation (breakdown) of harmful acid in the body, carried in the blood and excreted by the kidneys through urine. Formation of uric acid in the body is quite reasonable as it is a necessary substance in food metabolism. Uric acid is known to acts as an anti-oxidant and helps prevent damage to our blood vessels lining. But, higher levels of uric acid in the blood are harmful.
The level of uric acid in the blood rises mainly because either the kidneys are not working efficiently to excrete the excessive uric acid from the body or the uric acid level is too high for the normal kidneys to excrete the excess or due to both the conditions. Whatever the situation, the result is a high level of uric acid in the blood.
The high uric acid level may result in attacks of gout, but it’s important to note that not everyone who has high uric acid gets gout and not everyone with gout has high uric acid. Uric acid levels can reduce with the help of correct diet and exercise like walking, swimming and yoga.
Symptoms of Gout:-
• Intense joint pain.
• Joint pain that lasts a few days to a few weeks and then spreads to more joints over time.
• Redness, tenderness and swelling of the joints.
Statistics of Gout:-
• Gout, a type of arthritis that occurs when uric acid crystals build up in the joints, was also found to be more common in men than in women.
• The condition now affects about 8.3 million people or 4% of the population. And the risk of getting gout increases with age.
Yoga for Gout:-
• It is one of the classic Meditative Poses and usually performed after doing the Corpse Pose.
• The Easy Pose helps in straightening the spine, slowing down metabolism, promoting inner tranquillity, and keeping your mind still.
• This pose stretches shoulders, hips, and back.
• It also helps to calm the nervous system and tones abdomen.
3. Vrikshasana (Tree Pose):-
• A perfect posture to improve your balance and strengthen your back and legs.
Yoga helps in managing weight, improves flexibility, circulation, and prevents the formation of uric acid crystals from depositing in the joints, removing glasses that already filed in the bones by mobilizing and excreting them from your body. It can also help to detoxify the kidneys for better uric acid excretion and can enhance lymph flow at the joints to reduce painful gouty inflammation as a natural gout treatment.
So these are the yoga asanas and food to eat if you are suffering from Gout.